MB BS (Hons), FRANZCO, FRACS
A/Prof Alex Hunyor is a retinal specialist with expertise in vitreoretinal surgery and macular disease. He graduated with Honours from Sydney University Medical School in 1990, and trained in ophthalmology at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital (RVEEH) in Melbourne. He was awarded both the Cedric Cohen and the Ken Howsam Medals for excellence in the RANZCO examinations, and the RANZCO-ARVO and RANZCO-Sigma Scholarships. He then undertook 3½ years of subspecialty training in medical and surgical retina at RVEEH, the Casey Eye Institute (Portland, Oregon USA) and with Professor JDM Gass at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, TN). Alex returned to practice in Sydney in 2000.
Alex is Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and member of the Macular Research Group at the Save Sight Institute, University of Sydney. He is involved in numerous clinical trials for treatment of retinal diseases. He is one of the principal investigators in the Australian Macular Hole Study and the Fight Retinal Blindness project.
He is a member of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Retinal Specialists, Oceania Retina Association, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, and the American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS). He is the Australian international delegate to the ASRS. Alex serves on the Medical Board of the Macular Degeneration Foundation, and is a Governor on the Board of the Sydney Eye Hospital Foundation.
Alex is an examiner for the RANZCO Advanced Clinical Examinations, Chair of the RANZCO Medicare Advisory Committee, and is involved in teaching of local ophthalmic trainees and ophthalmologists as well as participating in education of overseas specialists through the RANZCO International Development Programme. He has received the RANZCO Award for Excellence in Training on 5 occasions. He has given many lectures at local and international scientific meetings, has over 40 peer-reviewed publications, and serves as a reviewer for several ophthalmic journals as well as the Medical Journal of Australia.
- Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney
- Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne
- Medical and Surgical Retina, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital, Melbourne
- Vitreoretinal Surgery, Casey Eye Institute, Oregon Health Science University, Portland, OR USA
- Medical Retina / Macular Disease, Professor JDM Gass, Vanderbilt Eye Center, Nashville, TN USA
- VMO, Vitreoretinal Unit, Sydney Eye Hospital
- Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, Macular Research Group, University of Sydney
Area of Specialization:
- Vitreoretinal surgery
- Medical retina / macular disease and surgery